Birth Doula Services
As a DONA certified birth doula I provide the level of support that meets the needs of you and your partner. I have a variety of packages to meet different needs and budgets.
As a birth doula I provide:
- education about the labor process including risks and benefits of various procedures
- physical support which may include massage, acupressure, help with position changes, and counterpressure
- use of labor tools such as birth ball, rebozo, massage tools, and (with care provider’s approval) TENS unit
- informational support about procedures
- follow up support including processing of your birth experience and the gift of a timeline of your birth day events
Birth doula services do not include:
- Performance of clinical tasks such as taking blood pressure, listening to fetal heart tones, and doing vaginal checks, etc.
- Making decisions for you. I will help you get the information you need to make an informed decision. I will also remind you if there is a departure from your birth plan.
- Speaking to the staff on your behalf. I will discuss concerns with you and suggest options. You or your partner will speak to the clinical staff and I will give you encouragement to share your questions, opinions, and concerns.
- Taking the place of your partner. If you have a spouse/partner, my desire is to enhance the relationship between the two of you, supporting the partner at whatever level he is comfortable to give you both the best possible birth memories. If he is unable to attend the birth I will help you with ways to include him in the birth experience if possible or to share it with him at a later time.
Why Have a Doula?
A labor doula is a trained, experienced labor companion who provides a mom and her partner continuous emotional, physical, and informational support before, during, and just after childbirth. Studies show that the presence of a doula fosters strong emotional ties between mother and baby, helps moms to have a safe and satisfying birth experience, and may both improve birth outcomes and reduce the need for medication in labor. Moms who do opt for medications often use them later in labor if a doula is present. There is also evidence that the presence of a doula may decrease the rate of Cesarean birth.
A postpartum doula provides evidence-based information on infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, mother-infant bonding, infant soothing, and basic newborn care. She may assist a new family with household tasks or work overnight to help soothe infants between feedings so parents can rest and recover from childbirth.
A woman who receives doula care is
26% less likely to give birth by cesarean surgery
41% less likely to give birth with vacuum extraction or forceps
28% less likely to use analgesic drugs or anesthesia
33% less likely to be dissatisfied with or negatively rate their birth experience
As a Alpha Certified Childbirth Educator I provide group and private classes using the Alpha Childbirth Curriculum. Alpha is a faith-based childbirth program which is completely evidence based. The information in the course is appropriate regardless of your faith background, but the optional homework is centered on prayer and Biblical principles for fighting fears with faith. Alpha does not teach that there is one “right” way to labor and give birth. For more information and to register for classes please see my Alpha class page at http://alphachildbirth.com/locations/la-mesa-ca.
As a mom who breastfed for approximately 18 years, I have faced and overcome a wide range of issues both small and extremely daunting. Some of the issues I faced as a breastfeeding mom were:
- failure to thrive (a “happy to starve” baby who lost over a pound in the first week of life)
- breastfeeding twins
- relactating after a severe postpartum illness
- plugged ducts
- insufficient latch
- tongue tie
- cracked nipples
I attended my first La Leche League meetings before my oldest son was born and later trained as a La Leche League leader. I have also taken classes on the latest breastfeeding techniques and recommendations. In addition to my familiarity with the breastfeeding process, my most important skill is knowing when to refer you to an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). These practitioners are the gold standard in diagnosis and treatment of breastfeeding problems. Having used the services of an IBCLC with three of my children (my 3rd, 6th, and 8th!), I know their value.
I offer private breastfeeding education during your pregnancy as well as lactation visits in the early postpartum period to be sure your baby is getting a great start. Of course, lactation education is a standard part of my childbirth classes and the immediate postpartum period if I serve as your birth doula.
Sibling Doula Services
As an educator with a degree in elementary education, I can provide excellent age-appropriate informational support to your older child at your birth. My sibling doula services include a one hour visit in your home with you and your child prenatally in order for your child and I to become acquainted.
As a mom of eight and “Grammie” of eight – with another grandchild due soon – I have extensive experience with babies. As the mother of twins, I am experienced with multiples as well. I have experience with supplementation by bottle, finger-feeding, or SNS as well as with use of breast pumps. Postpartum support is available days or nights with a two hour minimum.
Birth Plan Preparation
I offer a stand alone 90 minute birth plan preparation consultation at which I provide you with a variety of birth plan tools as well as offer guidance and information on the issues you may want to consider or are considering in the formulation of your birth plan.
Anti-Aging for the Brain and Body
Nerium consultant – http://thinkgoodlookgood.nerium.com Real Science, Real Results
- EHT – Mind Enhancement Formula™ – Improves memory, recall, focus, mental alertness, and cognitive function. Protects neuronal networking. Boosts the body’s immune system and enhances energy stores.
- Nerium AD Age Defying Night Cream – Reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, uneven skin texture, enlarged pores, and loose skin
- Nerium AD Age-Defying Day Cream – Day & Night creams are gluten free, paraben free, cruelty free and noncomedogenic
- Nerium AD Firming Body Contour Cream – Smooths, tightens and firms. Lessens the appearance of loose skin and cellulite ***Firm contains White Willow Bark – for use by mothers whose babies have weaned***
doTerra Essential Oils
I also offer essential oils for your use during pregnancy, labor, and beyond. I am happy to help you with safe usage protocols for you and your children. Please see my link on my “Products” page.